Here are a few times it would be wise to hire an executive coach:
1) Just before a promotion. A coach can help you build a firm foundation of self-awareness around your core strengths and weaknesses. Knowing your types (DISC, Myers-Briggs, Enneagram, Working Genius) will be a real advantage as you are about to move into a new role. It will be helpful for you to be aware when stress levels are elevated, and you are tempted to fall into unhealthy thought patterns.
2) Just after a promotion. A coach can help you understand yourself and assess the team around you. Knowing your challenges can help you identify other team members who can help fill the gaps. Navigating and understanding new political environments can wear on your thought patterns and emotions so a sounding board from the outside can be a real asset when settling in.
3) When in between jobs or looking to shift gears to a different industry. Coaching can be a great investment in yourself when trying to understand you and figure out the best opportunity. Self-confidence can take a hit after a setback or when your direction is unclear.
4) You feel stuck, unfulfilled or bored with your work. Creating a plan for continued growth with a coach can do wonders for revitalizing your passion and finding more meaning and purpose in your work.
5) You are overwhelmed and stressed out. Outside perspective is valuable anytime but especially here.
6) You are struggling with balance in your life and creating healthy boundaries. Help with creating a plan can be all that is needed to get on track.
7) You are navigating a problem employee or toxic work environment. Help managing your emotions is a must here in order to remain above the fray.
8) No matter how hard you work and how much you think you are covering all the bases you still feel like you are missing something. You might feel deep down that you are just winging it much of the time. An outside perspective can ask some challenging but needed questions to surface potential problems and vulnerabilities.
9) You sense you have a blind spot, but no one is telling you. A coaching is paid to ask you direct questions to make you better.
There are other times to hire a coach, but these are the main ones. When interviewing prospective coaches, consider asking them when is the best time to hire someone. I imagine most would say, “Now!”